If you live in Texas and have never seen a scorpion, it’s a miracle. They are a dime a dozen here and as the weather starts to get warmer, they will be making their way into your home for some reprieve from the heat. You will definitely want to do everything in your power to avoid getting stung by one of these pests as their sting can make you feel pretty crummy. Most scorpions aren’t venomous, but we have bark scorpions in our area that are and can cause serious damage when they sting you. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control is here to share some tips to help you avoid scorpion stings this summer.
How to Avoid Scorpion Stings
Following is our list to help you avoid these painful stings:
– Don’t Eat Scorpions: This sounds nuts, but there are cultures that believe they are a delicacy. No matter how curious you may be about them, don’t try this. Their sting can make you sick.
– Wear Shoes to Protect Feet from Scorpions: It is hard to wear shoes when it gets so hot here, but you will be glad you did if you run into a scorpion. Many people get stung on their foot when they are walking around with bare feet.
– Know How to Identify a Scorpion: These arachnids have eight legs and two pincers. They also have a long segmented tail that curves with a stinger located at the top of it.
– Check Clothes for Hidden Scorpions: Before using a towel out of the shower, or putting on a pair of shoes, give them a big shake. This will get rid of any lurking scorpions that are ready to sting. They hide in dark places during daylight hours.
– Prevent Scorpions from Getting in Your Bed: If your bed rests up against a wall, it is the perfect place for a scorpion to hide during the day. If you move it out a few inches, this won’t be as appealing to them.
– Protect Cribs & Toddler Beds from Scorpions: No one wants their kids to get stung by a scorpion. By putting a mason jar on the legs of your children’s crib or bed posts, scorpions can’t climb up the bed.
– Use a Blacklight to Prevent Scorpion Stings: If you want to make sure you aren’t going to step on one when you get up to use the bathroom during the night, you may want to invest in a black light that will help you see them. This way you can avoid them, but you should never try to touch them or move them to avoid getting stung.
– Dress for Yardwork to Keep Scorpions from Stinging: If you are going to be working in the yard or garage, you should wear protective clothing to keep you safe. Scorpions often hide under boxes and large rocks and your protective clothing like gloves and long pants will keep you safe.
Scorpion Pest Infestation Inspections, Control & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
If you are faced with a large amount of scorpions on your property, you can count on the experts at A Five Star Termite & Pest Control to get rid of them for you. Call us today!