There are thousands of ant species crawling across the globe. In Texas there are Carpenter ants, Formica ants, Pavement ants, Fire ants, Pharaoh ants and Crazy ants to mention a few. Ant home invaders are more than a nuisance, they contaminate food, cause damage, and can leave painful stings and bites. Ants can be a challenge to remove, but with professionals like A Five Star Termite & Pest Control, the ants can be effectively removed. However, today we would like to take the opportunity to discuss carpenter ants that frequently invade homes.
How Do I Know if it’s a Carpenter Ant or Termite?
One of the largest species terrorizing your homes is carpenter ants that can reach ¾” long. Where few carpenter ants can be reddish or yellowish black, they are generally black in color. These particular ants are a bit different than others as they burrow into soft, damp, or decayed woods, digging galleries to accommodate the colony. These ants are often confused with termites, but where termites eat the wood they tunnel through, carpenter ants discard the wood remnants. These ants favor the dead wood, as a result they will infest; trees, stumps, buried stumps, and building materials often harbor the carpenter ants. Insects, nectar, pollen, seeds, and fruit are some of the examples of the diet of Carpenter ants.
What Happens if a Carpenter Ant Bites You?
Especially if they feel they or their nests are threatened, these ants are fairly more aggressive and will bite people. The bite can be a painful pinch and sometimes they can break the skin due to their large stature. A valuable weapon when contending to other insects, carpenter ants will spray a natural formic acid chemical they produce to enhance the pain if given the opportunity.
Signs of Carpenter Ants
If you have carpenter ants, you may notice a few of the red flags listed below.
1) The reproducing ants, or swarmers, leave piles of shed wings lying around near window sills, baseboards and vents when they find an area to colonize.
2) Trails of sawdust are left behind from where carpenter ants have bored holes into the wood.
3) Wooden components used throughout the building will sound hollow upon tapping.
4) The faint sound of subtle rustling movement within in the walls or ingested wood can be heard.
5) A knife can very easily penetrate the surface of the wood carpenter ants have tunneled through.
6) The wood with wide, abnormal galleries from the carpenter ants tunneling activities leaves a smooth-surfaced, that almost looks like it has been sanded down, and it is free of dirt, mud, and debris.
Ant Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
Carpenter ants have the potential to cause extensive and costly damages to homes and businesses. If you suspect these ants are infesting your home, it is imperative you respond quickly and call in the professionals of A Five Star Termite & Pest Control to effectively remove them from your home. Our experts are familiar with carpenter ants and have the right methods and products to ensure they are completely obliterated. Call A Five Star Termite & Pest Control today to get the carpenter ants out of your home or business!