Fleas and ticks are more than just annoying pests but they can be a source of disease and discomfort for both humans and pets. These tiny invaders are known for their ability to multiply rapidly and infest your home and yard. Fortunately, with a proper approach, you can control and prevent these pests from taking over your living spaces. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control will share a step-by-step guide to keeping your home and property flea and tick-free.
Identification of Fleas & Ticks
Fleas are small, dark brown insects that prefer warm, humid environments. They feed on the blood of humans and animals. Fleas can jump up to 100 times their height, making them incredibly adept at moving between hosts and environments. Ticks are parasites that live in tall grass and wooded areas. They attach to their hosts, both humans or animals and feed on their blood. Ticks can carry diseases like Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
What Kills Fleas & Ticks in the House?
• Regular Cleaning: Vacuum carpets, rugs, and upholstery regularly. Pay special attention to areas where pets rest or sleep. Immediately dispose of the vacuum bag or empty the canister outside.
• Wash Beddings: Regularly wash your pet’s bedding, as well as your own bed linens, in hot water. This can help eliminate fleas and their eggs.
• Use Flea Treatments on Pets: Regularly treat your pets with flea and tick prevention medications. Consult with your veterinarian to find the best option.
• Insect Growth Regulators: Consider using insect growth regulators (IGRs), which prevent flea eggs from hatching and larvae from developing.
• Professional Pest Control Services: For severe infestations, professional pest control services can provide more complete solutions, including safe indoor pesticide treatments.
How Do I Get Rid of Fleas & Ticks in My Yard?
• Keep Grass Short: Regularly mow your lawn to keep the grass short. Fleas and ticks prefer longer grasses as they provide moisture and protection.
• Trim Bushes and Trees: Keep bushes and trees trimmed to reduce the amount of shade in the yard. Fleas and ticks thrive in darker, moist areas.
• Clear Debris: Remove leaf litter, tall grasses, and brush from around the home and at the edge of lawns.
• Use Tick-Friendly Landscaping: Consider landscaping with plants that are known to repel ticks, like lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus.
• Flea and Tick Yard Sprays: There are several chemical and natural yard sprays available that can help control flea and tick populations. Be sure to follow the application instructions carefully.
• Promote Natural Predators: Birds and certain insects are natural predators of fleas and ticks. Encourage these beneficial animals in your yard with birdhouses and insect friendly plants.
• Fence Your Property: If possible, fence your property to keep wildlife, which can carry fleas and ticks, out of your yard.
Flea & Tick Pest Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
While fleas and ticks can be a challenging nuisance, effective control is possible through diligent cleaning, pet treatment, and yard maintenance. By combining these strategies, you can reduce the risk of infestation and the associated health risks for both your family and your pets. When you need help winning the battle against fleas and ticks and need professional assistance, contact A Five Star Termite & Pest Control today.