If you don’t have a pet, you may think that you are out of the woods when it comes to flea infestations. Little did you know that nearly half of flea infestations happen in places that don’t have pets at all! It may sound unbelievable, but it’s true. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control is here to talk about how you can detect and avoid flea infestations in your home or on your property.
”Flea Dirt” is a Sign of Infestation
Fleas leave behind little black specks, also known as “flea dirt.” If you do have a dog, you can purchase a flea comb to check their fur. Metal combs work the best. You need to comb your pet’s hair, making sure you are reaching their skin through their thick coat, and if it comes up with black specks on it you could have a flea problem. These black specks are fecal matter that is left behind from adult fleas. If you don’t have a flea comb handy, you can place a white paper towel beneath your dog and rub your hands against its fur. If you have a flea problem, you will notice the same black specks mentioned above, fall onto the white towel.
Excessive Scratching or Itching is a Sign of Fleas
When a flea bites you or your pet, you will notice that the area starts to itch. They leave behind a bit of their saliva that causes irritation to your skin. If you notice your pet is unusually itchy, there may be a flea problem. If you notice any bites on your skin, you will know you have a problem.
How to Prevent Flea Infestations
There are several ways that you can keep fleas away from your home. Here they are:
1. Keep wild animals away from your house. If you don’t have pets, and have a flea problem, they more than likely came from a wild animal of some sort. Keeping wild animals away from your property will help keep fleas away as well.
2. Restrict your pets to only certain areas in your home- This may seem like an impossible thing to do, but you will find that you are much happier if a flea infestation isn’t all over your house.
3. Vacuum your home regularly- It is important that you keep your home vacuumed, especially if you are worried about a flea infestation.
4. Treat your pets- Have flea collars on your animals to avoid a flea infestation.
5. Use washable bedding for pets- washing your pet’s bed often, is a great way to avoid a flea infestation.
Flea Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
If you fear that you have a flea infestation somewhere on your property, it is time to call a professional. Trying to get rid of a flea infestation on your own can be a daunting task, that more than likely will end up with professional help in the end anyway. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control offers help with the tools you need to get rid of this pest. Call today!