Pigeons, often referred to as “flying rats” or “city doves,” are a common sight in urban environments around the world. While they have adapted well to city living, their presence can sometimes lead to various issues for residents and property owners. From health risks due to their droppings to potential property damage, the need for effective pigeon control strategies is essential. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control would like to explore various methods to control pigeon populations and the hazard they cause.
Understanding Pigeon Behavior
Understanding pigeons and their behavior is the first step in knowing how to prevent a major pigeon population from gathering around your home or other urban areas.
• Pigeons are highly adaptable, sociable birds that often live in flocks.
• They feed on a variety of foods, often scavenged from human sources.
• Pigeons prefer to nest on flat surfaces, typically on ledges, window sills, and roof spaces.
Pigeon Health Risks & Property Damage
Pigeons can carry and spread diseases such as psittacosis, salmonellosis, and histoplasmosis. Their droppings are not only unsightly but can also cause slip-and-fall hazards and accelerate the deterioration of buildings and even vehicles.
Pigeon Control Methods
1. Sanitation: Reduce food sources by ensuring garbage is properly secured and disposed of. Clean up any spilled food around your property promptly to avoid feeding pigeons.
2. Exclusion: Install anti-roosting spike strips on ledges, windowsills, and rooftops to prevent pigeons from landing. Use netting or wire mesh to block off areas under eaves or around air conditioning units where pigeons might nest.
3. Deterrents: Reflective surfaces, like old CDs or reflective tape, can be hung to scare pigeons away. Ultrasonic bird repellents emit sounds that are unpleasant to pigeons but inaudible to humans.
4. Trapping: Live traps can be used to capture and relocate pigeons, though this should be done in alignment with local wildlife regulations.
5. Birth Control: In some areas, birth control products specific to pigeons are available and can be used to effectively manage population sizes.
6. Predator Simulation: Decoys of predators, such as hawks or owls, can be effective initially, though pigeons may eventually realize they are not a threat. Robotic birds of prey are also available, which offer more realistic simulations.
7. Chemical Repellents: There are various chemical repellents available that can discourage pigeons from landing on treated surfaces. However, these should be used cautiously and in compliance with local regulations.
8. Maintenance and Repair: Regularly inspect your property for potential nesting sites and keep them clean. Repair any damages where pigeons could nest.
How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Pigeons?
For extensive pigeon problems, professional pest control services can offer more comprehensive solutions. These can include a combination of exclusion, trapping, and deterrent methods tailored to your specific situation. While completely eradicating pigeons from urban environments is not feasible, nor desirable due to their role in the ecosystem, effective management and control are possible. By implementing a combination of the strategies and working with a professional pest control service, you can reduce the problems pigeons might cause in urban areas.
Nuisance Bird Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
The most effective pigeon control strategy often requires a number of different approaches often tailored to the specific environment and situation. For help controlling pigeons around your home or business, contact A Five Star Termite & Pest Control today.