No one wants to hear that termites have chosen their home to get their next meal. When you are faced with a termite infestation, you could also be facing thousands of dollars in damages as well. One of the best ways to ensure you don’t end up with a severe termite infestation is to be aware of the signs that are present when termite activity is taking place in or around your home. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control is here to share some of the common signs that are found when termites are nearby.
How to Tell if You Have Termites in the Walls of Your Home
There are several signs that will surely be found when there are termites around your home. It is important you know what they are and what they mean so that you can get the help you need to get rid of this destructive pest. Following are the most common signs.
– Flying Termites (Swarmers): Anytime you see termites that are flying, this means that there is a mature colony nearby. These male and female termites will leave the colony to find a new location to start a new one. They are often mistaken for flying ants and shouldn’t be ignored.
– Weakened Wood: If you are vacuuming and all of a sudden your vacuum can go through the wall that you are vacuuming along, you know there is a problem. Long before this happens though, you would be able to knock on the wall and know that the wood sounds hollow and unstable. This is a sign of termites.
– Termite Frass Droppings: Termite droppings are also known as frass. This substance is dark and powdery. It is often pushed out of the openings where termites are gaining access into the structure. It can also look like black streaks as well. It will be found near small holes into the walls of your home.
– Termite Mud Tubes: Subterranean termites don’t live in the home that they are feeding on. They will build their nests deep in the ground and travel to the food source from there. To get to your home, they will build small mud tubes. These are often found on the foundation of your home. This is a big sign that there is termite activity in your home.
– Pests that Look like White Ants: If you ever see a pest that you believe looks like white ants in your home, you should look again. These are often termites that have been mistaken for ants. They look very similar, but will play very different roles in the strength of your home.
Termite Inspections, Control, Removal & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
If you notice that any of these signs listed above are found in and around your home, you need to call the professionals at A Five Star Termite & Pest Control right away to get help in getting rid of the termites. The faster you act, the less damage you will be dealing with once they are gone. Call us today!