Rodents are a common problem in the winter time. They seem to find any opening they can to get to the warm air inside your home. When they are trying so hard to get in, they will more than likely eventually find an opening to some home that hasn’t taken the time to have any rodent exclusion done. Rodent exclusion is one of the most sure fire ways that you can avoid a rodent infestation. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control is here to talk about is involved in rodent exclusion so that you can make sure your home is safe from rodent infestations.
What is Exclusion of Rats & Mice?
It takes a lot more than removing the rodents themselves to protect your home against a rodent infestation. They will make their way back into your home if you don’t solve the problem with the way that they are getting into your home in the first place. This is where rodent exclusion comes into play. Rodent exclusion is the process of eliminating any opening that could be found around your home that would allow a rodent to make it into your home. Here are some of the factors that play a role in rodent exclusion:
– You need to seal any openings that are found are your home. This includes cracks that are ¼” wide for mice and ½” wide for rats.
– Look at the areas where any utility lines comes into your home. There can be openings that are surrounding these entry points.
– Inspect your home for any broken windows, torn screens, warped doors or any other problem that can lead to an entry point for mice and rats.
– The roof needs to be inspected as well for any problems like warping that could allow an opening large enough for rats and mice to get through.
What Materials Can Rats & Mice Not Chew Through?
It can be difficult to keep rodents out of your home unless you are using the right materials to get the job done. Here are some of the materials used during rodent exclusion:
– Steel Wool: If there are openings in the siding or foundation of your home, one of the ways that you can fix it is to fill the opening with steel wool. Rodents can’t chew through it and get into your home.
– Hardware Cloth: If you have any attic vents, hardware cloth can be the answer to closing them up so no rodents can get through. Because the hardware cloth is made of metal, they can’t chew through it.
– Metal Flashing: When there are gaps around the gutters, they can be closed using metal flashing.
– Chimney Caps: The chimney is a common area for rodents to get into your home. This is often forgotten by homeowners. A chimney cap will take care of the problem.
Rodent Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
If you have rodents in your home, you can turn to A Five Star Termite & Pest Control to help you get rid of mice and rats once and for all. Call us today!