It sometimes feel as though Texas has been built on a giant ant hill and the ant problems are known to occur year round. There are more than 14,000 species of ants that have been documented around the world and about 250 native species of ants reside in Texas. One of the most common ants found locally in Greater San Antonio, Texas is the Argentine ant which has a brown to dark brown body.
Argentine Ants Supercolony
Argentine ants have a particular fondness for sugary food, other insects and meat. Argentine ants have become the one species of ant that has become an annoyance within households. The most effective way to eradicate Argentine ants is to contact your professional A Five Star Termite & Pest Control technician for a professional application of bait. In layman’s terms, the ants will take the bait back to the colony where it works to eradicate the ants within their home. Unlike many of the native ant species in San Antonio, Texas, the Argentine ant is very closely tied to humans. The Argentine ant has firmly established itself as a major urban pest. Argentine ants do not have the ability to either sting, bite or spread disease but they are renowned for being an annoyance and especially hard to control because of their ability to build colonies with trails that lead to sub-colonies. Statistically, 99 percent of ants in a colony can be eradicated and the colony can still survive.
Argentine Ant Prevention
The professionals at A Five Star Termite & Pest Control have provided the follow tips to help you avoid an infestation of argentine ants within your home:
• Limit access to the fundamentals elements that ants need to survive including food and water.
• Limit the areas of access to your home by blocking the holes and cracks they use to enter.
• Keep any food items, especially sugary sweets tightly wrapped or store them in a refrigerator.
• Wipe off all kitchen surfaces after meals and rinse dishes especially those that have held cakes and other sweet treats carefully. The tiniest residue of sugar can attract ants.
• Dispose of leftovers, especially sweet treats and meats in the garbage disposal or in sealed plastic bags stored in the freezer until your trash collection day.
Ant Inspections, Control, Removal & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
For more information regarding pest control solutions for ants and other pests, contact the professionals at A Five Star Termite & Pest Control today.