Have you ever purchased food and then upon consuming it found bugs in your food? It is more common than you think, and just as disgusting as you can imagine. There are all sorts of pests that can invade your kitchen. Often times these pests are associated with dirty kitchens, when actually, this isn’t always the case. They can rather quickly infest cereals, flour, rice, pastas, nuts and other foods that are stored in your pantry. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control would like to share some tips to save you from experiencing an infestation of common pantry pests.
How Do You Know if You have Pantry Pests?
The most obvious way to know if you have a pest problem in your pantry is actually seeing the bugs. They are generally easy to spot on counters or on the shelving in your pantry. If you don’t actually see the bug, you might see their eggs or larvae. Sometimes there also might be a web-like material present on the packaging of your food. This is left behind from larvae climbing around the food and leaving a trail as they eat.
How Do You Keep Pests Out of Pantry?
There are a few helpful and simple tips you can follow to help limit the risk of a panty pest infestation. They are:
1. Be wise when shopping. When you are buying packaged goods at the store, check the packaging very carefully for any broken seals or damaged boxes. This is a sign that pests may have already made their way into the package.
2. Check the expiration dates on foods you buy. When putting away your bought goods in your pantry, rotate the food that is already there with the food you are buying. By making sure you are eating the older food first, it is less likely that pests can make their way into your stored goods.
3. Clean up spills promptly. If there is a spill of any kind in your pantry area, be sure to clean it up right away. Use a vacuum to clean up any crumbs that may have been left behind so as to not attract any insects.
4. Buy food that comes in package sizes that will be consumed in a short amount of time. The longer it sits on your shelf, the more likely it is to be infested with pests.
5. Use proper storage containers. If you do buy a larger, bulk sized package, store it in containers that are pest proof. These would include heavy duty plastic containers, glass containers, containers with a screw on lid or metal containers. Believe it or not, most of these pests can chew through cardboard and plastic bags that your packaged goods come in.
Pantry Pest Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal, Management & More in Canyon Lake, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Timberwood Park, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights, New Braunfels, Selma, Live Oak, Converse, Universal City, Cibolo, Seguin, New Berlin, St Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia, Elmendorf, Losoya, Von Ormy, Macdona & San Antonio, Texas
If you do notice any chance of an infestation, immediate action needs to be taken. These pests can reproduce at a rapid rate, and it doesn’t take long for a few bugs to become an infestation.
Calling a professional pest control company such as A Five Star Termite & Pest Control is the best way to ensure these pantry pests are eliminated safely. Because you are dealing with food, it is very important to eradicate the problem before a large amount of food is damaged or even worse, someone gets sick. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control has the knowledge and tools needed to quickly get rid of any pantry pests you may be dealing with. Call us today!