Effective Mosquito Control in Cibolo, TX; What Attracts Mosquitoes & What is the Best Way to Keep Them Away?

Mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus (WNV) are on the rise. The good news about West Nile Virus is that approximately 80% of people exposed to the virus will not have any symptoms. The other 20% will experience cold or flu-like symptoms for a few days. These symptoms can include fever, nausea, vomiting, headaches, body aches, swollen lymph glands and a rash on the back, stomach and chest. But, about 1 in 150 will have symptoms that are more severe. These symptoms can include a stiff neck, high fever, paralysis, tremors, disorientation, numbness and vision loss. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control considers what can attract mosquitoes to bite you to help you avoid them this summer.

Why are My Mosquito Bites So Itchy?

It’s pretty hard to get through summer without a mosquito bite or two, but why do they itch so bad? When a mosquito bites you, they inject a bit of saliva. This will trigger a reaction and you’ll develop that red, swollen spot that itches like crazy! If you find that these bites stay itchy for days, you may be mildly allergic to them. It is also thought that scratching the bite can damage the epidermis, causing a secondary infection to increase the itching. You can blame the female mosquitoes for all those bites. One female mosquito can lay anywhere from 100 to 400 eggs after a blood meal. The best way to prevent getting those pesky bites is to wear bug repellent that contains up to 30% DEET. This will work for about four hours, but you need to reapply.

Why are Mosquitoes So Drawn to Me?

• The more you sweat, the more they will bite. They are attracted to the carbon dioxide you exhale more than your “sweet blood”.
• Mosquitoes like when you drink alcohol. It changes your skin chemistry and attracts them.
• Don’t be a wallflower. Lots of carbon dioxide will attract mosquitoes and they will attack those that are on the outskirts of a group.
• Unkempt landscaping will attract mosquitoes. Thick, overgrown vegetation where it’s dark and humid is a great place for mosquitoes to hang out. Keep your lawn trimmed and get rid of standing water.
• Using DEET free repellent will not keep mosquitoes away.
• Using carbon dioxide emitting traps may attract more mosquitoes than they can trap and may increase their numbers.

What is the Best Method of Controlling Mosquitoes?

Mosquito control is done by eliminating breeding sites by removing standing water, getting rid of adult mosquitoes with insecticides and using mosquito repellents. A Five Star Termite & Pest Control offers mosquito fogging to coat leaves and foliage more effectively.

Mosquito Control & More in the Greater Cleveland Area | NE & NW Ohio Including Solon, Akron, Middleburg Heights & Medina OH

Mosquitoes are a nuisance and a health threat. Not only do their bites itch like crazy, they can be deadly. It’s very important to reduce mosquito populations around your home. Contact A Five Star Termite & Pest Control to find out how.

Call Now Button